WA 6.0 hours Benefits of a Professional Home Inspection - Course Syllabus


Course Syllabus:

6.0 Elective Hours

Lead is a soft, grey-blue metal known to cause cancer in laboratory animals and to be toxic to many of the human body's systems. Lead was used in building construction, especially roofing, cornices, electrical conduits and water and sewer pipes. Once lead is mined, processed and introduced into the human environment, it is forever a potential problem.

Although lead can poison both adults and children, it is especially hazardous to the developing brains and nervous systems of unborn and young children. The most common high dose source of lead exposure for children is lead-based paint. Any house built prior to 1978 could have lead-based paint, but houses built before 1950 are at the highest risk.

Sellers, lessors or their agents must disclose the presence of known lead-based paint and/or lead-based paint hazards. They must distribute a lead hazard pamphlet and disclose any known information. Under this law, a real estate licensee generally will not be held liable for failure to disclose to a prospective purchaser the presence of lead-based paint if the hazard was known by the landlord or seller but not disclosed to the licensee.

Upon completion of this course, the licensee will have a better understanding of the dangers of lead and the importance of proper disclosure.